What’s the one thing that has contributed to my business success?

I’m optimistic and believe that things will work out. 

I never believed the myth that women can’t run auto shops. 

I do believe that with hard work, and dedication, women can do anything! In fact, any person can do anything if they set their mind to it and put in the work. 

The discrimination sometimes comes in big ways, like when I’m working at the shop, and a WOMAN looks over my shoulder, looking for the ‘man’ in charge. That really hurts. Or when at an industry trade show, and the vendors ask me where my husband is. Oh, you only sell to men? Fine, I’ll take my business (and money) elsewhere. 

The small ways hurt just as much. This is trivial, but when a salesperson calls the shop (to this day!), and asks for the manager and I say, “I can help you”, they hang up, still hanging on to the belief that a woman only answers the phone. 

I hear from my friends that behind my back, I’m called a bitch, for being a strong, confident business woman and sometimes the people who are saying this, really surprise me. Every business has its negatives and what we do as business people, is rise above them and prove people WRONG! 

I feel fortunate that my business is in Marin County. This county is full of self-actualized individuals that aren’t quick to judge and because of this, people have given me a chance. Thank you Marin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Anselmo Car Show

Mid day excitement